Using an automatic sprinkler system is a convenient, efficient, and rewarding way to water your landscape. If you are still watering your landscape with a hose or a sprinkler, you may be using up to 50% more water than your landscape needs. A well-trained irrigation professional, working with today's technology can save homeowners time and money, and provide better results. An arborist from the Rayal Tree Care Company can evaluate your current system so your lawn and landscape will receive the right amount of water, in the right spots and at the right time. When programmed properly, automatic systems can even help in water conservation. Our recommendations are customized according to the landscape plan and conditions of your site.
Most homeowners over-water their yard, unwittingly wasting money every time they take out the hose or turn on the sprinklers. Adopting water-savvy habits not only helps reduce this waste, it saves money while promoting a healthier lawn and landscape. Our professionally trained arborist will evaluate
- each individual zone in your irrigation system to account for sun, shade and wind exposure.
- consider the soil type in each zone, as it affects the how quickly water can be applied and infiltrate without runoff.
- adjust your watering schedules at least seasonally to account for changing water needs and improve plant health.
Tips on watering include:
- Saturate the root zones. Roots are generally within the top six inches of soil. Then let the soil dry. Watering too frequently results in shallow roots, weed growth, disease and fungus.
- Water each zone several times for short periods rather than in one long session. Meaning, rather then watering for 15 minutes, water three times for 5 minutes, allowing time for the water to soak into the ground before watering again. This reduces run-off.
- Be sure your sprinklers are not watering driveways, sidewalks, patios, or buildings.
Landscape Design Tips
A well-designed landscape and a well-designed irrigation system need to work well together to maximize savings.
- Use turf or plant species appropriate to the climate whenever possible.
- Practice "hydro-zoning" by grouping plants with similar water needs close together.
- Confine non-turf plants to plant beds to make it easier to water lawn areas.
It can't be emphasized enough how critical an irrigation consultant is to the success of your precious landscape. A Rayal Tree Care specialist can get the most out of your system, by making sure your plants get the water they need, just when they need it. You will get a thicker, greener lawn and more beautiful gardens, as you save time and save water. We can also reduce damage from fungus, insects and disease, which add stress to your lawn. Contact our customer service department by phone or email to schedule an appointment for your irrigation designs and needs.